Take a real break from work and school this summer with a family trip to Japan. Immerse yourselves in the beauty of Japanese nature, history, culture, art, and technology while enjoying best-value experiences. Explore the secrets of Japan while bonding with your loved ones on the adventure of a lifetime.
Embark on an epic journey across Japan lasting over two weeks, visiting Tokyo, Karuizawa, Nagoya, Kyoto, and Osaka. Get to know local customs by crafting your own sushi, mastering the ninja arts, exploring animation theme parks, and shopping. And discover some of Japan's most historic attractions.
This is an ideal tour for first-time visitors and families. Sign up for your favorite part of the tour or simply treat the whole tour as inspiration, designing each element specially for you.
Experience peaceful and cooling nature during summer at Japan's top resort, famously adored by John Lennon and his wife Yoko.
Embark on an exhilarating journey to view the stunning panorama of Mount Fuji. Take the cableway and even set foot onto the majestic mountain itself.
Discover the essence of Japanese culture by immersing yourself in Nipponese activities from ninja craft to sushi making.
View priceless preservations of history, from the most iconic shrines and temples to castles and inns in ancient Japanese cities.
Step into the mesmerizing world of Japanese animation by exploring famous Ghibli Park and Akihabara with your kids.
Explore Japan's cutting-edge technology by visiting kid-friendly museums.
Travel in style and comfort with your family on the world-renowned Shinkansen high-speed trains for an unforgettable journey.
Feed the wild deer at Nara Park and share in the idyllic scenery.
Indulge in the delectable flavors of Japanese cuisine, and treat yourself to a mouthwatering culinary experience.
Savor the comfort of family-friendly accommodations all over Japan.
98.8% Positive Customer reviews among 10,000+
Sharon has been very helpful since the…
Sharon has been very helpful since the beginning coordinating our itinerary in order to accommodate everything we want to see, it been great working with herMore
May, Jul 2023
When I first book I was scared of what…
When I first book I was scared of what to expect, but oh my God! What an amazing experience this has been, from Sharon to all the guides Shawn and Mr. Ho, such amazing people! Their work is excellentMore
Saul Velez, Jul 2023
Albee was very helpful and responsive…
Albee was very helpful and responsive in helping me make plans for their 10 day Japanese tour.More
Bhavini Patel, Jul 2023
Alisa was a perfect tour consultant
Alisa responded to my numerous questions with efficiency and accuracy. She was constantly suggesting options to make the trip more enjoyableMore
Matha Goram, Jul 2023
I highly Recommend Asia Highlights
For our first guide Jun, he was amazing. Very accommodating. Kept in good communication & kept us on time for our activities. Reached out to me the night before to confirm meet times and locations. Our driver for this time was also so kind & driver was always on time. For our second Guide , Ho. He went above and beyond. He stayed in great communication. Stayed later with us on one of the days because we were worried about riding the train back alone but wanted to visit at the shopping center a littler longer, so he stayed with us and made sure we got off on the right stop! During our time with him he took pictures of us and sent them to us! He was very knowledgeable about every place we visited. He was kind and patient with our large group. He made our trip easy & memorable. The driver we had for this timeframe was also kind & always on time! We felt a bond with both guides given to us! If you want an easy going, stress free trip book with “Asia Highlights”!!!More
Jessalynn Flores, Jul 2023
Working to put together a custom trip…
Working to put together a custom trip with Alissa has been a great experienceMore
Marc, Jul 2023
Wonderful Service from Sharon!
Sharon at Asia Highlights has been a HUGE help in planning our trip to Japan later this year. From her initial contact to finalization of the plan, she has been very responsive, professional, patient, and knowledgeable. She was able to quickly propose an amazing itinerary and helped us customize it for our interests. She also made many great recommendations and gave us tips for the trip. I wasn’t familiar with Asia Highlights before I reached out, but after Sharon’s wonderful service, I have full confidence in them. I can’t wait for the trip and I hope it’s as awesome as Sharon’s service!!!More
Ali Tahir, Jul 2023
We had a wonderful time in Japan with guides Moni and Kazuko and with Jan in Singapore. Will always remember this trip!More
Happy Customer, Jun 2023
Just got to say
Just got to say, Monica was great in every way! So sweet and helpful with planning, itineraries, answering questions… would love to meet her in person! Thank you Monica!More
Teri, Jun 2023
Monica is fantastic
Monica is fantastic. She understood our needs, was very responsive and planned a perfect vacation for us. Highly recommend.More
Philip Sheldon, Jun 2023
Me and my son are traveling to Japan
Me and my son are traveling to Japan. Albee is magnificent. Extremely efficient, helpful, trustworthy. I am very happy she is helping us with my son's dreaming trip.More
Ana Letícia Urbanin, Jun 2023
A great way to plan a dream vacation
Due to circumstances, we had to delay our trip to Japan so this review is only about the process of designing the trip. Albee was always available, responsive to our goals, and competent. Based on how involved he was with our family trip, we know we will be back next year and resuming the plan he built. Really impressed with the quality and extent of resources we found through Albee and KimKim.More
KC, May 2023
Yeliz - Asia Highlights
Yeliz was extremely helpful and patient during our Japan trip planning and answered all my various questions. Really looking forward to our upcoming trip to Tokyo, Mt. Fuji, Kyoto and Osaka!More
Cyndie, May 2023
Sharon’s was very patient and helpful…
Sharon’s was very patient and helpful when navigating me through the trip planning process. She helped me plan a very exciting and extravagant trip.More
Jonny Abad, May 2023
Wonderful 10 day trip in Japan!!!
Well planned trip by Alisa . Everything was well scheduled, guides and drivers were excellent!! The cars were extremely comfortable and the hotel she chose for us was beautiful!! Enjoyed planning with her she was very professional and always offered other choices.More
Lianne Stone, May 2023
11 days trip to Japan
I am planning my trip to Japan in November with Sharon's help and she has provided amazing customer service.She is very responsive and put together very quickly an incredible plan for 11 days in Japan. She provided recommendations and made changes based on our interests and budget. She also provided information about visa restrictions and the best way to get tickets for transportation services. Thanks so much Sharon, looking forward to this trip!More
LE, May 2023
Hi Cathy! I just want to thank you for making our Japan trip so much fun & memorable! We loved everything that you had scheduled for us! All the guides and drivers were great & punctual! We love Japan so much that we’re planning to go back next year to different part of Japan! We’ll definitely contact Asia Highlights for our trip again! SereneMore
Serene Storslett, May 2023
Quick, easy and detailed service
Alisa was our advisor from Asia highlights and she prepared for us a wonderful 28 day trip to Japan, taking into consideration our needs and desire not to be traveling everyday and to have a mixture of slow and busy days. We've not yet taken our trip, but very much looking forward to it Thank you Alisa for the quick response and wonderful itineraryMore
Lynette Whittle, Apr 2023
Sharon Huang did an excellent job in planningour 15 day Cherry Blossom Japan tour. Shewas available during our trip to answer our questions and readily agreed to the itinerary changes.Everything was arranged - accommodation,breakfast, guide, car, entrance fees and train tickets. The guides were knowledgeable, and managed the tour very efficiently. The drivers were punctual and very patient. We visited must see places in and near Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. We also got to experience Japanese Tea ceremony, Sushi making, Sake tasting, shopping etc.We highly recommend Asia Highlights for your travel needs.More
Madhu, Apr 2023
I organized a trip to Japan for my
I organized a trip to Japan for my parents who don’t speak English and Alisa was so amazing helping make an itinerary for them. They needed a Spanish guide and she coordinated everything so they wouldn’t have any trouble when they got there. She was so patient changing and adjusting the itinerary to their needs and wants, it’s been a total pleasure working with her and she always responds promptly to any question I have. I definitely recommend this company and if you can ask to work with Alisa.More
Luisa, Apr 2023
Itinerary in Detail
We offer a diverse range of cultural activities to enhance your trip and leave a lasting impression. In addition, we provide opportunities to observe the wildlife in Joshin'etsukogen National Park, as well as feeding the deers in Nara Park - which considered by locals as divine messengers. We also visit several educational museums for an engaging and informative experience. Our itinerary is completely customizable based on your preferences for an unforgettable journey.
Konnichiwa and a warm welcome to Tokyo, the vibrant and dynamic capital of Japan.
Our private transfer service will ensure a stress-free, comfortable journey from the airport to your hotel. New and exciting experiences await you in Tokyo. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy Japanese hospitality with your loved ones.
Experience the most iconic attractions of Tokyo, and see the city from a unique perspective with a waterbus cruise on Sumida River:
- Immerse yourself in traditional Japanese culture with a visit to Meiji Shrine, a significant Shinto shrine. Witness traditional Japanese rituals and deity offerings.
- Embrace Tokyo's contemporary side in Ginza District, where upscale boutiques and designer stores offer an electric mix of high-end fashion, fine dining, and entertainment.
- Discover the natural beauty of Tokyo with a visit to Hama-rikyu Gardens, a serene oasis of winding paths in the heart of the city.
- Take a traditional Sumida River waterbus ride to historic Senso-ji Temple. Witness the bustling cityscape of renowned landmarks and stunning views of the city skyline.
- Finish the day with the breathtaking panorama of Tokyo seen from Tokyo Skytree — the tallest structure in Tokyo, with an impressive height of 634 meters (2,080 feet).
On day 3, we would learn the process of making sushi, and the basic skills of being a ninja:
- Discover bustling Tsukiji Fish Market, one of the largest in the world. Browse the market's stalls, interact with the vendors, and learn about Japanese culinary culture.
- Continue the adventure with a sushi-making class. Learning from a professional sushi chef, create delicious, nutritious, and aesthetically pleasing rolls. Then eat them!
- Activate your inner ninja with an interactive and immersive ninja experience that takes you back in time to Japan's feudal era. Learn secret, advanced ninja skills.
This day guarantees a unique experience for families who want to embrace the modern and trendy culture that Japan has to offer:
- Immerse yourself in the innovative world of digital art, technology, and entertainment with a visit to MORI Building DIGITAL ART MUSEUM: EPSON teamLab Borderless.
- Continue your exploration with a visit to the Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation. Also known as Miraikan, it exhibits space exploration and robotics.
- Lastly, embrace the fascinating pop culture of Japan by visiting Akihabara, the bustling hub for anime and gaming. Don't miss the opportunity to visit the Pokémon Center.
Take a daytrip to Kamakura, a coastal resort town just an hour from Tokyo, and witness the ancient religious heritage of Japan.
- Visit Great Kotokuin Temple. Its giant bronze Buddha statue of over 13 meters (44 feet) high is a national treasure in vast, serene temple grounds.
- Then visit Hasedera Temple. Known for its stunning statue of Kannon, the goddess of mercy, it offers breathtaking views of the surrounding area and Pacific Ocean.
- Next, visit Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, a significant, magnificent shrine founded in the 12th century with impressive architecture and tall, shady camphor trees.
- End your Kamakura exploring with Komachi Street, a bustling street filled with shops, cafés, and restaurants. Experience traditional Japanese cuisine and/or pick up souvenirs.
- Finish the day by transferring to Kawaguchiko — a mountainous area that offers exceptional views of Mount Fuji.
On day 6, we would embark on a journey to the beautiful Fuji Five Lakes and witness the majestic splendor of Mount Fuji:
- Start your adventure by visiting Kawaguchiko, one of the five lakes, and enjoy the breathtaking views of Mt. Fuji while you walk along the serene lakeside.
- Take the Kachi Kachi cableway on Mt. Tenjo for panoramic views of the lakes and Mt. Fuji, and visit beautiful Arakura Sengen Shrine, beginning the Mt. Fuji pilgrimage route.
- Next, visit Mount Fuji's 5th Station and Fujisan Komitake Shrine. Learn about the mountain's geology and history, and enjoy stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
In the morning of day 7, we would drive 2 hours to Karuizawa. Along the way, you will see the beautiful countryside and the changing landscape:
- Your first half-day nature tour would visit Joshinetsu Kogen National Park. Your guide would show you lush green forest, beautiful lakes, streams, and wildlife.
A second half-day Karuizawa Nature Tour, this time on the Shinano-ji Nature Trail, would be a great way to explore the natural beauty of the area:
- The Shinano-ji Nature Trail is a well-maintained trail that runs through the central area of Karuizawa at 960 m (3,150 ft) to Mine-no-Chaya at 1,405 m (4,610 ft).
- Along the trail, you will be surrounded by the natural beauty of Karuizawa, including rivers, streams, waterfalls, and stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
Traveling from Karuizawa to Nagoya by train, experience the world-famous Shinkansen and see the diverse and beautiful Japanese countryside. Have a good rest after arrival at Nagoya.
On day 10, have fun in nationally-famous Ghibli Park, only about 45 minutes outside Nagoya city. The park is based on the popular animated films of Studio Ghibli.
On day 11, the visits would give you a great blend of educational and fun experiences. You'll get to learn more about the industrial and technological history of Japan:
- Visit the Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology, showcasing Toyota history and Japan industrial technology with interactive exhibits.
- After lunch, head to SCMAGLEV and Railway Park, about 30 minutes away by car. This railway museum that has a vast collection of trains, locomotives, and bullet trains.
- Finally, head to the Nagoya City Science Museum. It has lots of interactive exhibits, planetarium shows, and even a large-screen theater.
Head to Nagoya Station and take the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Kyoto. The journey takes approximately 40 minutes.
After arrival, check-in at your hotel and have a rest before participating in a well-choreographed special dinner experience at a traditional tea house in Gion District. You will be treated to a feast of traditional Japanese cuisine while being entertained by a Geisha, who will sing, play musical instruments, and perform for you.
The day offers a mix of cultural, natural, and culinary experiences in traditional Kyoto:
- Enter Kiyomizu-dera Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and famous Kyoto temple. It offers a beautiful view of the city and has a history dating back to 778 AD.
- Then, visit Kinkakuji Temple, also known as Golden Pavilion as it's covered in gold leaf. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is in a beautiful garden with a pond.
- Have yourselves some local snacks at Nishiki Market. You'll find lots of interesting food stalls and shops selling anything from traditional Japanese candy to fresh seafood.
- Finish the day's visits at Arashiyama, a mountainous Kyoto district famous for its beautiful bamboo groves, Togetsukyo Bridge over Katsura River, and serene atmosphere.
On day 14, we would pay a visit to Nara Park, which is only about 45 minutes' driving from Kyoto, and later visit Kyoto's most popular shrine.
- Once we arrive in Nara, we'd head to Todaiji temple, one of Japan's most famous and historically significant temples, which houses the world's largest bronze Buddha statue.
- After visiting the temple, head to kid-friendly Nara Park, where you can experience feeding the lovable deer that roam freely throughout the park.
- In the afternoon, we'd return to Kyoto and head to Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine, famous for its thousands of vermilion torii gates that line the trails behind the main temple.
Remember to wear comfortable walking shoes and bring some snacks for the day trip.
Check out from your hotel in Kyoto, and we'll travel to Osaka by private vehicle in around an hour:
- Once you arrive in Osaka, we'd head to the Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan. This popular destination for families has a huge marine life variety: dolphins, whale sharks, penguins...
- Then, head to Cup Noodle Museum. Learn the history of instant noodles, see their manufacture, and make your own personally-designed instant noodles (ramen)!
On day 16, you would be able to gain a deeper knowledge of Osaka by visiting its classic attractions:
- Begin your day by visiting Osaka Castle Park, a vast area of greenery allowing your family to enjoy fresh air and nature and take pictures with a historical Osaka Castle backdrop.
- After visiting the park, head to Tempozan Ferris Wheel, which offers a panoramic view of the city and Osaka Bay.
- Continue your adventure in fascinating Osaka Museum of Housing and Living, displaying different housing found in Japan and lifestyles in Japan throughout the ages.
On day 17 of the journey, you will be departing from Osaka to head back home.
- Since the day is free and easy, you can sleep in or do some last-minute shopping.
- Famous shopping districts, like Shinsaibashi or Namba are recommended for traditional Japanese souvenirs, food, and clothes.
- You will be picked up by a private hotel to airport transfer to take you to Kansai International Airport (KIX) for your flight home.
Have a safe trip and we hope you enjoyed your family Japan adventure!
We have selected hotels with different styles and for different budgets. Let us know your preferences and we will help you find the right one.
Hotel with nice view of Mt. Fuji in Kawaguchi
Excellent hotel with open-air baths in Karuizawa
Centrally located hotel for family leisure in Nagoya
Family-friendly traditional local style Ryokan in Kyoto
Elegant hotel with swimming pool in Osaka
Our Service Includes:
- Private transport and personal English-speaking tour guide
- All guided sightseeing as detailed in the itinerary
- Hotel accommodation mentioned in the itinerary
- Breakfasts at hotels
- Governmental taxes
Tour code: ah-jp-16
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- Japan Weather in January 2024: Quiet Winter Month
- Japan Weather in February 2024, Where to Go & Costs
- Japan Weather in March 2024, Travel Tips (for First-Timers)
- Japan Weather in April 2024: Best for Cherry Blossoms
- Japan Weather in May 2024, Where to Go and Costs
- Japan Weather in June 2023: Coolest Summer Month, Travel Tips
- Japan Weather in July 2023: Best for Festivals, Travel Tips
- Japan Weather in August 2023, Travel Tips (for First-Timers)
- Japan Weather in September 2023, Travel Tips (for First-Timers)
- Japan Weather in October 2023, Where to Go & Costs
- Japan Weather in November 2023: Best Autumn Month, Travel Tips
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.