This itinerary is specially designed for those who would like to take a leisurely and in-depth trip to Asia for a 3-week vacation.
As two of most influential countries in Asia, China and Vietnam share some common cultural traits, but they also have their own unique characteristics.
From the historical wonders of the Great Wall in Beijing to the bustling floating markets in the Mekong Delta, this tour offers a comprehensive experience of these two fascinating countries.
With our carefully-designed itinerary and expert guides, this adventure tour could be your journey of a lifetime!
*The cost for a customized private SE Asia tour from US$200/person/day
China and Vietnam Tour Map (Suggested Route)
Here are the awesome attractions, the most must-do activities selected by Asia Highlights (AH Hand-Picked), and exclusive cultural experiences offered by Asia Highlights (Only With AH) included in this tour:
Discover the soul of the Forbidden City: Get off the ordinary sightseeing route and unveil the lives of China's royal family in their hidden halls.
Walk along the most beautiful section of the Great Wall
Unearth the secrets of the Terracotta Army and make your own terracotta warriors.
Explore the most-easily-accessible spectacular rice terraces in China, which is more accessible than Vietnam's.
Time Travel on the Bund and Feel the Speed of Shanghai's Development.
Capture the world's most picturesque karst landscape and seascape: hills in Guilin, China and outcrops in Halong Bay, Vietnam.
Taste the savory flavors of China and Vietnam: Beijing roast duck, handmade dumplings, fresh Vietnam spring rolls...
Experience different countryside life in the south of China and the Mekong Delta.
Paddle a traditional Vietnamese basket boat along the coconut-palm-flanked waterways to learn about the local fisherman's lifestyle.
Enjoy two free day by the beach in Da Nang for a relaxing break during the long trip.
98.8% Positive Customer reviews among 10,000+
WOW! I’ve traveled Asia some & I must say Sharon & Asia Highlights made this trip so much more enjoyable and easyMore
Stephen Hollis, Aug 2023
Alisa has has been great to work with
Alisa with Asia Highlights has has been great to work with. Very friendly and responsive.More
Ana Rausch, Aug 2023
Using Sharon right now to book our…
Using Sharon right now to book our upcoming trip to Thailand. She has booked everything that we asked for. Has answered all of my inquiries, which has been many! Looking forward to having a great girls trip in ThailandMore
Tracy, Aug 2023
Thailand, Singapore, Bali
In Thailand, Tanny and Nori(Suparp), were both incredible! They were both fun, funny, and full of knowledge and made sure we got the full experience. They went the extra mile and always made sure we had cold bottled water and towels to cleanse our hands. In Singapore, Nicole was an absolute gem. She was so kind and knowledgeable and guided us in the right direction to make our day as enjoyable as possible. She helped us choose a top notch local lunch and coffee spot in China Town and taught us so much about the country! In Bali, Emon was an absolute joy. He was very knowledgeable and kind and absolutely made sure we were feeling comfortable and was willing to be flexible with us. He was fun to converse with and made our time traveling between destinations so enjoyable! I cannot recommend Asia Highlights enough! Accommodations, travel arrangements and guided tours were all a breeze.More
Cassi Thunker, Jul 2023
Very supportive ! I have received eticket for Sky Lattern Festival very fastMore
Chi?n Nguy?n Ng?c, Jul 2023
My experience in Chang Mai with Asia Highlights
I greatly enjoyed my experience with Asia Highlights for a trip I booked to Thailand.All of my interests were catered too. My guide in Chang Mai Gemma was excellent.I truly felt the soul of Thailand culture and Buddhism.More
Richard, Jul 2023
A pleasure to plan with
Well, this has been a painless and pleasurable process to find such a wonderful company. I had specific dates and places to be and Sharon worked with me diligently to refine the schedule and costs to suit my travel needs and budget. She informed me of a special tour on the dates I am to be in Thailand and I added that to my previous plans.More
Chris Williams, Jul 2023
Large multi-generational holiday in Thailand
The holiday was wonderful. Our guides, Mr Monchai (Bangkok), and Ms Tipagorn (Tippy) (Chiang Mai) were exceptional. Travelling in a large multigenerational group with many children requires patience and our guides truly understood that. Mr Monchai and Ms Tippy shared their extensive knowledge of the many wonderful places we visited, and were flexible to take us to additional places along the way based on discussions. While everyday was busy, having them greet us with patience and a smile truly made this a memorable holiday. The hotels we stayed at were equally wonderful and went above and beyond to celebrate not only my parents 50th anniversary but also celebrate 2 milestone birthdays that occurred. We will cherish this holiday for many years to come. We hope to use Asia Highlights again.More
CL, Jul 2023
I never used a travel agent in my life
I never used a travel agent in my life, but Sharon for Asia Highlights did a phenomenal job helping planning and coordination a family vacation. The best part of working with Sharon was that she maintained an open line of communication and provided answers to my question well within 12-24 hours. Additionally, Sharon was flexible and customized our vacation to my families needs. Overall great experience.More
Antione Barry, Jul 2023
Great company to plan a trip to Southeast Asia!
Sharon Haung has been wonderful to work with! Very patient and accommodating. Responds immediately given time change and is prepared, prompt, and professional.More
Debi Hinerfeld, Jul 2023
We took a 15 days trip (10 days Vietnam and 5 days Thailand …
It was an amazing experience the guides and drivers were there awaiting for us at each airoport for a transfer to the hotels also on time for all the tours all the guides were so lovely , very experienced and spoke very good English , one of the days on tour in Thailand I lost my phone in a temple in Bangkok mr chai went out of his way in a middle of thousands of visitors and managed to find an bring it back to me I found that amazing , also while on a trip I contacted Jason li out tour organizer few time via whatup and he replied and helped on the spot I recommend asiahilights 150% The quality of the service hotels the guides the drivers outstanding From start to finish ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ????More
SIMO el ghobar, Jun 2023
Wonderful Guides and Experience
Our large group arrived in Bangkok with Tanni as our guide. She was wonderful! An absolute joy to spend time with. She is knowledgeable, kind, and extremely funny. I don’t know what we would have done without her! After Bangkok, we traveled to Chang Mai, where Indy was our tour guide. She was a delight! She is kind, knowledgeable, and so patient. Our trip to Thailand was an adventure of a lifetime and these two women helped make it memorable. I would definitely use Asia Highlights for any future travel in Asia.More
Jessica Bennett, Jun 2023
Guide - Chai
We travelled from Vietnam to Bangkok and were blessed to have a guide named Chai. He was a superb guide and it is a pity we couldn't bottle him and take him home. He was very knowledgeable and an absolute gentleman. He could not have done enough to facilitate us and imparted so much knowledge about the Temples, Buddism and the History of Thailand in general. Not only did he give us a great overview of the past and current ways of living in Thailand but I also feel I came away a much better person having interacting with him. I will carry many of his teachings with me for the rest of my life and know that having met him was a very special blessing in my life.More
Customer, Jun 2023
Our guide Tanni was kind
Our guide Tanni was kind, knowledgeable, funny and beyond accommodating for our group. We felt like we'd made a friend and it enhanced our trip in the most positive way. Everything was coordinated perfectly which is not easy to do in a large traveling group. Excellent experience!More
Marissa Manson, Jun 2023
We are only on day 5 of our 15 day trip…
Our first stop so far was in Hanoi where our guide Trong was just so awesome! He shared about his culture and family life which showing us sites through a city tour. He was so funny making lots of jokes and always made sure we were having fun while learning about everything! He checked on us frequently even when we were no longer with him since we then went on a cruise in Halong Bay! Halong Bay and the cruise on Paradise Elegance went way above anything I expected. The scenery was breathtaking, the ship was so beautiful and clean with such fresh, good food! And I can’t sing enough praise for the staff who took care of us- especially Anna and Belle! They went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed every aspect from eating meals with Anna to every other detail with Belle! I highly recommend Asian Highlights to help plan these extraordinary trips! This already has been a trip of a lifetime and we still have so much more to see all thanks to Cathy!!More
Diane Creitz, Jun 2023
Tanni for the win!
14 of my closest friends and family descended upon Bangkok ready to see the town. Asia highlights and Tanni took us on a tour that changed our lives. We experienced so much everyday. Tanni was amazing! She did all the thinking for us, so we all could just be present and enjoy the moment. I can’t recommend this company, and especially Tanni enough.More
Megan McGlynn, Jun 2023
This isn't my first trip with Asia…
This isn't my first trip with Asia Highlights. They are great at helping me plan, working my requests into the itinerary, and booking it all. We travel with friends and just got back from a trip to Thailand and Vietnam. Albee did a great job with all the details and we had a wonderful time. We will use them for our next adventure!More
Katie Potesta, Jun 2023
Although we have not been our trip yet I wanted to still write a review based on customer service and the ease of booking. Alisa has been extremely prompt and responsive with planning our trip to Thailand. She has had great recommendations and guidance to add to our custom itinerary. Highly recommend using Asia highlights! -AlexMore
Alex, May 2023
I have never hear of this company…
I have never hear of this company before , and after reading all these reviews ,I decided to give it a try . The professionalism and communicative skill received by one of the agent , Sharon of Asia Highlights , convince me that She was the right travel agent for my trip in Asia . Very quickly she communicated with me and got all the detail of my desire vacation . Sharon made me a great itinerary with great experiences that I am dreaming to experience and I am looking forward to it . Thanks Sharon for been so great and crafting me a dream vacation with great suggestions.More
orge alvarez, May 2023
Coco Yang worked tirelessly to…
From the moment I landed in Bangkok, Ms Noi Ying was there to welcome me and get me settled into my hotel. We enjoyed several days together touring Bangkok and Kanchanaburi. In Chiang Mai, Mr Ekachai took my son snd I on an amazing trip to the Elephant Jungle Sanctuary and to visit a community Lanna home, gardens and a hands-on cooking class preparing an authentic Thai meal. Lisa arranged a last-minute speedboat tour of 5 breathtaking islands in Phuket. From start to finish, the guides exceeded my expectations!! Thank you, Asia Highlight!! Debbie WoodsMore
Debbie Woods, May 2023
Your preferences design the real journey. We're ready to create a wonderful China and Vietnam tour for you.
Upon arrival, your private guide and driver will greet you at the airport and then drive you to your hotel. The rest of the day will be free for you to explore at your leisure.
- Start your day from the historic Tian'anmen Square.
- Explore the emperors' Forbidden City: get off the ordinary sightseeing route and listen to interesting stories of eight famous personalities that are not told by typical tour guides.
- Walk into the Hutongs and discover the traditional Beijing lifestyle.
- Enjoy an authentic Beijing roast duck dinner in a time-honored-brand restaurant.
- Explore the most-beautifully-restored section of the Great Wall —Mutianyu with round-way cable-car rides up and down.
- Visit the iconic Temple of Heaven where emperors prayed for good harvests for centuries. Appreciate the relaxed lifestyle of local seniors there.
- Drive to the most famous imperial garden in China — the Summer Palace. It is where emperors used to retreat to flee the summer heat. Take a boat ride on tranquil Kunming Lake in the heart of the vast garden.
- After lunch at a local restaurant, take a high-speed train to Xi'an (about 6 hours).
- Guide-accompanied railway station transfers in both Beijing and Xi'an are included.
- Discover the incredible Terracotta Army, which has guarded First Emperor Qin's tomb since 210 BC. Your guide will help you find your favorite terracotta warrior using a unique process designed by China Highlights.
- Visit a typical Shaanxi cave house and to learn how to make your own terracotta warrior there. Get to know traditional techniques used 2,000 years ago and try your hand at molding, carving, and painting.
- Walk on Xi'an's City Wall. Hear the echoes of history and get an emperor's-eye view of the city.
- Visit one of the best museums in China — Shaanxi History Museum — which gives a perfect overview of Chinese history and is not to be missed.
- See Chinese-style architecture combined with dozens of historic Buddhist statues and murals at Big Wild Goose Pagoda, which is another landmark of Xi'an.
- Learn how to make Chinese dumplings in a local's house and enjoy a home-cooked lunch.
- Transfer to Xi'an's airport and fly to Guilin. Upon arrival, your guide and driver will greet you in the airport and transfer directly to your hotel.
- Travel on a smooth highway for 2 hours to the famous Longji Terraced Rice Fields. You can either walk up or take an electric buggy to get to the viewpoints.
- Appreciate awesome views over the rolling mountains tiered with lush rice paddies.
- Cook a local favorite — 'bamboo tube rice' — in a minority family house.
- Return to Guilin by late afternoon.
- Enjoy a 4-star Li River cruise (the highest level of cruise, offering better facilities and a buffet lunch) on your journey from Guilin to Yangshuo. The Li River is listed as one of the world's 15 best rivers for travelers by CNN.
- Arrive at your riverside resort in Yangshuo in afternoon. Sit back in relaxed setting with a nice cup of coffee — that's what a vacation should be like!
- Enjoy a relaxing evening in Yangshuo.
- Explore the Yangshuo countryside by bike with your guide. Narrow single-lane trails lead you to secluded villages and karst-crowned fields.
- Get on a bamboo recliner on a traditional bamboo raft with a private punter to glide along the dreamy Yulong River.
- Say goodbye to Yangshuo and transfer to Guilin to connect with your flight to Shanghai. Upon arrival, we'll transfer you directly your hotel.
- Visit Yu Garden, which is an exquisite classical garden, hidden and well-preserved among the high buildings.
- Walking along the Bund, you will learn about Shanghai's rise to super-size.
- Wander through the backstreets to get a glimpse of Shanghainese lifestyles.
- Be like a local as you hop on a public ferry among the crowds to cross the Huangpu River and slowly travel from old Shanghai to new Shanghai — Pudong New Area.
- There, take the fastest elevator in the world and ascend the second-highest building in the world — Shanghai Tower.
- As your China tour comes to its end, your private guide and driver will transfer you to Shanghai Airport for your onward flight.
- Upon arrival in Hanoi, your new Vietnam private guide and driver will greet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel.
- Explore Hanoi's top attractions: Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, One Pillar Pagoda, the Temple of Literature, and Vietnam Museum of Ethnology.
- Hop on a cyclo (a local rickshaw) and catch a glimpse Hanoi's city life, passing through the bustling and famed Old Quarter.
- Conclude your day by watching a long-loved local water puppet performance.
- After breakfast, you will be transferred from Hanoi to Halong Bay.
- Board your junk cruise at noon. This smaller craft is both more intimate and more authentic than the usual group-tour boats.
- Swim in the emerald waters of Tra Bau cove in Lan Ha Bay.
- Roll up your sleeves and learn how to make Vietnamese spring rolls.
- Try your hand at squid fishing in the evening or maybe another local activity you have interest in.
- Taste exquisite drinks and savor delicious food on board while enjoying the spectacular views.
- In the morning, after breakfast, kayak in the Ao Ech area to discover Ha Long's hidden paradise — Lan Ha Bay.
- After brunch, transfer from Halong Bay back to Hanoi for your onward flight to Da Nang.
- Upon arrival in Da Nang, your new guide and driver will meet you at the airport and drive you to Hoi An.
- At a fishing village near Hoi An, experience the fishermen's lifestyle. Cruise down Cua Dai River and try your hand at casting Vietnamese fishing nets.
- Paddle a uniquely-Vietnamese 'round-basket-boat' on tranquil coconut-tree-flanked waterways, just as the fisher-folk do traditionally.
- Learn more about Vietnamese culture through its food during an evening specialty-tasting tour.
- Ride through the ancient town and take a boat trip on the Hoai River for a dreamy night surrounded by colorful lanterns — hanging and floating.
- Have two rest day to spend at your leisure on Da Nang's idyllic beaches.
- In the morning, transfer to Da Nang's airport and board your flight to Can Tho. Upon arrival, your guide and driver will transfer you to the hotel.
- If you are full of energy and want to do some activities, we are happy to arrange Can Tho countryside cycling for you.
- Get up early to see the most-bustling floating market in the Mekong Delta.
- Have fun with a leisurely sampan ride through the picturesque canals of Cai Be.
- Transfer to Ho Chi Minh and stay overnight there.
- Discover Ho Chi Minh City's turbulent history at its most historic landmarks: Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica of Saigon, Saigon Central Post Office, and Reunification Palace.
- Continue your tour at the informative War Remnants Museum to learn about 'the American War' from a Vietnamese perspective.
- Get an insight into the Saigonese lifestyle and its culture by tasting a cup of Vietnamese coffee with the locals at a popular street cafe.
- Head to the famous Cu Chi Tunnels, which reflect the hardships and resilience of the Vietnamese resistance fighters.
- Your 3-week Asia tour comes to its end on the southerly coast of Asia's curvy-and-slender country. We trust you will now know China's top four destinations and Vietnam's 'four slenders'! After breakfast, transfer to Ho Chi Minh Airport for your departure flight.
Ideas for Making This Trip Uniquely Yours
Special experiences can be added to brighten a honeymoon trip, a family vacation, a birthday, or satisfy personal interests.
Han Chinese Clothing and Customs Experience
For Couples and Family
Shanghai Chic by Night
Tailor-make a Vietnamese ao dai or another dress you like
For birthday/anniversary celebration
See the A O Show in Ho Chin Minh City
For those who like art
We select hotels with style and local features. Let us know your preferences and we'll find your ideal hotel.
A riverbank resort in Yangshuo
A modern design hotel in Xi'an
Michelin recommended hotel in Shanghai
Central located hotel in Beijing
Hotel with nostalgic style in Hanoi
Central located hotel in Ho Chi Minh
A riverbank resort in Hoi An
Our Service Includes:
- Private transfers and English-speaking tour guide
- All guided sightseeing as detailed in the itinerary
- 4-star accommodations for 21 nights
- Flights between cities mentioned in the itinerary
- Breakfasts at hotels and lunches for every guided day
- Governmental taxes
Tour code: ah-4
Why Travel with Asia Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 20-Day China (including Tibet), Nepal, and India Tour
- 16-Day Japan and China Discovery Tour
- 21-Day China, Laos, and Thailand Discovery
- 3-Week Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan Tour
- 14-Day Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos Itinerary: Premium Private Tour
- Private, Tailor-Made Tours of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam 2023
- 2-Week Vietnam-Cambodia Tour with a Luxurious Mekong Cruise
- 11-Day Best of Thailand and Cambodia Tour
- 19-Day Highlights of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam
- 15-Day Myanmar, Thailand and Bali Honeymoon
- 28-Day Grand Indochina Tour
- How to Plan a 2-Week Itinerary in Japan and South Korea
- Plan an Awesome Trip to India, Bhutan and Nepal (6 Tips)
- Planning a Romantic Trip to Asia for a Honeymoon/Anniversary
- The Top 10 Places to Celebrate New Year 2024 in Asia
- 2-Week Southeast Asia Itineraries for Couples, Families, and More
- How to Plan a 3-Week Southeast Asia Itinerary
- The Ultimate 4-Week Southeast Asia Itinerary for You! (Expert Advice)
- How to Plan a 10-Day Southeast Asia Itinerary (2023/2024)
- How to Plan an Incredible Family Trip to Japan in 2023/2024
- Best & Worst Times to Visit Southeast Asia 2023/2024, Rainy Season...
- Best & Worst Times to Visit Japan 2023/2024, Best Month
- Best (and Worst) Time to Visit Vietnam 2023/2024 for Great Weather, Low Prices
- Best (& Worst & Cheapest) Times to Visit Thailand 2023 & Rainy Season
- Best (and Worst) Times to Visit India 2023/2024 & the Monsoon?
- Best (and Worst) Times to Visit Bali 2023/2024 & When is the Rainy Season
- Best & Worst Times to Visit Vietnam and Cambodia 2023/2024, Best Month
- Best Times to Visit Nepal —Guide to Nepal Weather and Travel Experience
Get Inspired with Some Popular Itineraries
At Asia Highlights, we create your kind of journey — your dates, your destinations, at your pace. You can have any trip tailor made for your travel.